Friday, May 29, 2009

Inspired Image: Laila Smith

Hello, my name is Laila Smith and I'm a studio jeweler.

You can find me at Cross Street Workshop and at Object Fetish.
This image comes from a holiday to Wildwood, NJ.

It inspires me because I love the muted colours and I had such a great trip to this town of 60's motels. If you can go there, it is amazing!

I particularly love the symmetry of the windows and doors (I love grids) and the 50's colour scheme.

It makes me feel warm and happy, even though as you can see it obviously was taken on a very rainy day.

The 3 words it conjures up are retro, holiday and muted.


Laila is a very talented jewelry maker who has a style all her own, using, as she says "domestic textile techniques alongside traditional silversmithing processes". All of her fabric comes from found or family fragments and are very weathered. Here, have a look.



They are so original and I love the little details of the stitching. Happy Friday everyone!


1 comment:

  1. I saw the first image before I registered any of the surrounding text and I was SO hoping for a moment that you were about to tell us that was your new apartment building. =x

    ReplyDelete