Monday, July 26, 2010

My Ode to Pesto, Now in Recipe Form


I am not sure why I didn't post a recipe with my ode to pesto, but here you go! Remember to check my tips to make this both easier and less expensive.


Pesto
adapted from How to Cook Everything* by Mark Bittman
makes about 1 cup

2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves (rinsed and dried)
salt, to taste
1/2 cups flat leaf parsley (rinsed and dried)
squeeze of fresh lemon juice
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp walnuts
1/2 cup olive oil (or more until you get the consistency you want)
1/2 c (or a few decent size chunks) Parmesan or Pecorino Romano**

Combine all ingredients into a blender except for the oil. Add your 1/2 c of oil, then process, scraping down the sides of the container if necessary and adding more oil if you want a thinner pesto.

Keep in mind that as long as you get the general ratios right, it will turn out well—which is code for me admitting that I don't measure when I make pesto. I like to guesstimate, especially when I make a bigger batch, though I understand why having an actual recipe is important!

*I heart the searchable HTCE app!
**Pecorino has a lovely smooth flavor and is often much less expensive.

[Image from hopeseed.com/herbs.html]

1 comment:

  1. Can you do an ode to basil plants too? Because I grow them every year with plans to make big 'ol batches of pesto and tomato basil soup, etc. and they always end up looking so awful and spindly and I have to buy a lot of basil to supplement their poor production of leaves. :(

    ReplyDelete