Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Vintage Fabric Accessories from Julie of Belle Rose Designs


 It feels as though all of my friends are having babies—which has me a little preoccupied by the challenge of creating a balanced life. How do you work hard all day and come home to care for your family? Or how do you stay home, work hard all day, and still have energy left for yourself? To help me sort through my own questions, I'm asking other creative women how they do it. Today's post is from Julie, who has a definite way with vintage fabric (which you know I enjoy!). Let's here from this mother of two and maker of bookmarks, jewelry and onesies how she does it. And if you're a creative woman with thoughts to share on this topic, please feel free to comment or drop me a line at thingswemake at gmail dot com. I'd love to hear from you!

Name: Julie
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

How do you balance your full time work as a librarian with your creative outlet?
Balancing work and being a mother is always tough for me.  I find the time when my children are sleeping usually during naptime on the weekends.  I crave the time I spend creating.  It's all my own! I get cranky without it but family and work obligations come first so I usually carry a notebook with me with ideas and sketch or write notes about projects.  That way when I get the time I can plan and create with purpose.

What's the best part about making things?
I love creating things and someone commenting on it and being able to say I made it! I also love when my daughter wears something I created for her and she loves and gets complimented on it!

What sets your work apart?
A lot of my jewelry is created with ribbon or fabric as the base and I think this sets my work apart from other jewelry designers.  My Rosette Ribbon bookmarks are fairly unique as well.  I strive to be original and create unique pieces.  I think that sets my work apart.


Have your children inspired you to create?
Immensely. I started creating fabric and ribbon jewelry because I had so many beaded creations ripped from my neck.  Ribbon and fabric can be pulled on but I have yet to have one of them destroyed by tiny hands. My daughter is my inspiration for my shop name too and is my harshest critic!

How old are they and what are their names?
Annabelle Rose is 3 and Dashiell is 18 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment