Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Vintage Textile Jewelry from Lisa of That Old Blue House

 One of the reasons that I love reading other blogs is because they so often lead me to people who are making the most lovely things. In this case, I am head over heels in love with the work of Lisa of ThatOldBlueHouse on etsy that I stumbled upon the other day (when I can figure out where I saw them first, I will add some credit here!). From Lisa: "I have worked with stained glass for over 20 years. My jewelry evolved from my love of antiques. I collect vintage textiles and postcards, and I had to finance my collecting addiction!!"

"My Vintage lace & quilt jewelry pays homage to the women who created these works of art many years ago. I only use tattered pieces of fabric & give them a 'second life', to be enjoyed by a new generation."
 Apparently her work has been featured all over the place (including in Anthropologie), and even though I am convinced that I should have come across this sooner, I'm really glad that I have found it now—as someone who has a growing stack of old quilt pieces and lace, I love thinking of the potential for it in wearable pieces.
 And there is something so classic, and yet modern, about the way that Lisa combines the old textiles with the hard metal materials. The fact that they manage to look delicate and fine, rather than bulky or overwhelming, is a true testiment to the quality and attention that she puts into her work.

 I am officially adding at least one of these pieces to my 31st bday "things to treat myself to" list. Now I just have to decide which one!



2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Those earrings are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, I love her work! thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete