Monday, August 8, 2011

Fresh Homemade Salsa

 

First, thanks to everyone for the comments and emails after Friday's post. It felt really good to share my life questions and to hear that I'm not the only one who's asked them. I will be sharing some of the wisdom that I received with you soon. 

This weekend was a reminder of how much I love eating in the summer, which was grounding in its own right. There was sweet corn with butter and salt, watermelon, blueberries, pesto, peaches, cucumbers, tomatoes, and beets, just to give you some of the highlights. I know that I was probably swooning over the summer produce last year, but my senses seem heightened this year and I am really enjoying myself. Josh has a theory that it's because I'm participating more in the gardening than I did last year, which is possible. I will say that I also particularly love that it takes such little effort to make a fantastic meal in the summer and that having a fridge filled with farm-fresh goodies is all the inspiration to eat well that we seem to need. 

A few things we ate really stand out in my memory, but one was salsa. You guys, it's so crazy easy to make! And since I have a preference for pico de gallo style salsa anyway, making this was particularly rewarding.

Fresh and Chunky Salsa
This is a super simple salsa that made me remember how downright easy it is to surpass most jarred versions. For some reason I am always forgetting how easy salsa is, but after we had this over scrambled eggs and black beans, I am pretty sure it will be a more constant staple in our house. Try it with chips, with eggs, rice and beans, or a quesadilla, or add in a chopped super ripe peach or a mango and enjoy it to top grilled chicken or fish.

1-2 large tomatoes, diced
1/2 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 c cilantro, roughly chopped
1/2 of a lemon or 1 lime, juiced
2 serrano chiles, minced (take the seeds out if you like your salsa mild)
salt

Add all of your ingredients to a bowl and stir together gently. Let sit for about 20 minutes before you eat it to let the flavors meld. Enjoy!

1 comment: