Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Simple DIY: Wedding Hair Comb

After I had my hair trial at the salon for my wedding, I knew that there was a spot in the back of my head that could use a little adornment. I had never planned to wear anything fancy in my hair (my hair is curly and is usually enough on it's own!), but I knew that a bit of sparkle would be an excellent touch.

Since I only had about a month left before the wedding when I realized this need and everything I was finding online was both too ornate and too expensive, I decided to see if I could make something myself. So I went to Micheal's and picked up some plastic hair combs and thin gold wire. I then gathered some of the left over beads from my dress, along with a little pile of Swarovski crystal beads that I had been saving after I broke the bracelet that they were in (a bracelet that I'd made for myself a few years ago when I went through a beading phase). 


I cut a length of the wire, twisted it around one side of the comb a few times, then threaded on beads, one at a time, and wrapped the wire around the comb as I went. I did two passes—the first one with the larger beads, then the second with the smaller, more sparkly beads. And in a matter of minutes, I had it done, which was amazingly quick. 

I loved how simple it was to make and how it gave me just the hint of sparkle that I wanted. To which I say, when in doubt, diy!

No comments:

Post a Comment