Monday, August 1, 2011

Very Berry Oatmeal


Very Berry Oatmeal
This was my Sunday morning breakfast, eaten lazily while reading the newspaper, made with gluten free oats from Bob's Red Mill. I have made a version of this before, but the combination this time around made me feel like I was eating the healthiest version of blueberry pie for breakfast. It was absolutely delicious. I used a combination of frozen berries that I had in the freezer—wild blueberries and a triple berry blend from Trader Joe's. Feel free to use whatever berries you have on hand, though if you use fresh, stir them in after the oatmeal so that they don't cook down too much. Enjoy!

1/2 cup mixed frozen (or fresh) berries
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
2 tbsp raw sunflower seeds
a few dashes cinnamon
milk of your choice (I used vanilla almond milk)
maple syrup (or other sweetener)

1. Heat 1 cup water in a small stock pot over medium heat until simmering. Add the frozen berries and let cook until thawed slightly.
2. Add the oatmeal, cinnamon, coconut, and sunflower seeds and stir to combine. Add more water if needed to cook the oats (I like them just cooked so that they are chewy, so this step usually goes really fast for me since the oats and the coconut absorb a lot of water).
3. Turn off the heat and put the cover on the pot. Let sit 5 minutes so that the flavors combine. Serve with milk and sweetener.

2 comments:

  1. I made a pot of oatmeal too on Sunday morning - complete with fresh raspberries from my garden. Eating it in the shade of my apple tree on the patio made for a great start to the day! Next time I'm going to add sunflower seeds and a little bit of coconut too (adding maple syrup is the best, no?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! My two favorite things put together!

    ReplyDelete