Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Instant Heirloom: Julie Floersch

I saw the work of Julie Floersch a few months ago on Love Forever and was amazed—both with the designs she uses in her quilts and also that she uses denim. I love the texture and the color variations but as a quilter myself, I can only imagine how challenging that fabric must be. More than the designs though, what attracted to me about her work is that she says that "though my critical approach is forward thinking, a traditional and historic aspect still remains through the use of natural materials and an insistence on age old hand craft". Which means that she's very aware and committed to maintaining a connection with the history of her craft as she pushes it to thoroughly modern places. I love that.


image from jan & aya
image from Love Forever

image from Julie's website


image from jan & aya

Check out this great interview on Julie from New York Magazine and also this one from Brooklyn store jan & aya which recently featured her work.

I'd love to hear from you if you are a crafter who keeps an eye on the past. Did you learn from a relative and try to keep those techniques alive? Is there a certain style you try to incorporate into your work? Or if you're not a crafter, I'm curious if you've become more aware of this as the handmade movement has gathered steam. Drop me a line at thingswemake [at] gmail [dot] com or post a comment. And thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment