Sunday, November 22, 2009

Orange Cranberry Walnut Bread

For as long as I can remember, we've eaten this cranberry bread for Thanksgiving (and perhaps Christmas). My Dad's mom always made a bunch of loaves ahead of time that she'd carefully wrap in foil, label (the name in her script on an appropriately themed holiday label), and freeze until the holiday. My mom continues the tradition, serving it slightly chilled in slices with cream cheese on the side. Since I'm staying in Iowa for Thanksgiving this year, I thought I should make the bread too.
I made a loaf over the weekend to take to "friendsgiving" at my friend Brianne's house, which was a fantastic prelude with friends to the real event. I'll be making another to take to Thanksgiving on Thursday. It's interesting to me that it always tastes slightly different depending on who makes it, even though we're all using the same recipe. But it makes me happy to carry on such a deliciously easy tradition.

Cranberry Nut Bread

1 orange
1/2 c chopped walnuts
2 tbsp butter
2 c all purpose flour
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 c sugar
1 c chopped fresh cranberries
1/2 tsp baking soda

1. Preheat oven 325. Butter a loaf pan and set aside.
2. Grate the rind of the orange and squeeze out juice into measuring cup. Add enough boiling water to make 3/4 cup. Add the orange rind and butter, stirring to melt the butter.
3. Beat the egg in another bowl and gradually add the sugar, beating well. Add remaining ingredients and orange mixture, blending well. Spoon into pan and bake 55-60 minutes.


2 comments:

  1. So yummy!

    What are your feelings about using a clementine or two in place of the orange and dried cranberries instead of fresh? And could there be a place for chocolate chips (isn't there always)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celemtines, yes for sure (probably use two if they are little) and I'm not sure about the chocolate...the flavors of the cranberries and oranges are so bright and perky that they might be best left to shine alone (maybe eat some chocolate chips on the side?)

    ReplyDelete