Sunday, November 1, 2009

Weekend Breakfast Heaven: Banana Pancakes


I can't believe that I'm about to admit this, but I'm pretty sure this weekend was the first time I've ever made pancakes from scratch. Part of this is due to the fact that usually, the only time I make them is when I'm at my parents house (because then there are more people to enjoy them). My mom buys a buckwheat pancake mix that we like a lot, so there's never been a reason to make them from scratch. But that changed on Saturday when I woke up with a serious pancake craving. I opened How to Cook Everything and realized that pancakes are ridiculously simple: 2 cups of flour (I used 1 c whole wheat and 1 c all purpose), 1.5 cups of milk, 1 tbsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 eggs, 1 tbsp sugar, and if you're like me, a few dashes of cinnamon and a thinly sliced banana. That's it! (This is not news, I know, but I just can't believe I'd never made them before, especially after reading the recipe.) I used my Lodge cast iron griddle, the last bit of the maple syrup that I brought with me from New York, and it was weekend breakfast heaven. I'm very excited to enjoy the few that are left in my freezer through the course of this week.

My other weekend highlight was that I made much progress on my mom's quilt. I will post a picture of it later this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment