Friday, October 15, 2010

Dressing the Part, Wedding Dress Edition


I can be an extremely indecisive person, especially when it comes to ordering at a restaurant (I fear that I'll miss the most delicious thing and regret it forever and ever) and with buying clothing (I return what I purchase about 50% of the time because it feels different at home than it did in the store). So when my best friend sent me an email filled with exclamation points, sharing the fact that Alabama Chanin has a bridal collection, I knew immediately that was the way I wanted to go with the wedding dress.

To be totally  honest, as much as I enjoyed going to bridal salons to help other people choose a dress, that just didn't sound like something I wanted to put myself through. How on earth would I ever be able to decide? Not to mention, be able to tell what I really liked through what my loved ones might be telling me. So skipping past that entire experience makes me extremely happy.

Especially because my mom and I are road tripping down to Alabama for the first weekend in November to help make my dress. I know! I can hardly believe it either!

You all know how much I like to have a needle and thread in my hand, so having a hand in my dress feels so gut-level right. And giving my mom a chance to share the experience of making that important piece of clothing is going to be amazing, I can already tell. AND, getting to meet Natalie Chanin, a woman who I admire enormously, and her talented crew of seamstresses and sewers, is just icing on the cake.

So I've been spending some time trying to get exactly my ideal dress straight so that I am prepared when we get down there. Above you can see my inspiration board, which, sneaky me, is here without its notes so that the actual plan will remain a secret until the big day. But you will see that it will be embroidered in some amazing way, and it will most likely be white. 

I love that we've found a way for this aspect of the wedding planning to be an experience that I can share with my mom, and with other very talented women, that it will go very far in giving the actual dress layers of meaning. And I can't help but believe that my grandmother on my mom's side, who worked in a bridal salon as a seamstress for many years, would adore this plan. (That's actually a big reason in why I love this so much!) So to her and to all of the women who came before me to establish the tradition of women coming together to create beautiful things, thank you for helping to take the indecision out of this aspect of the wedding.

P.S. If you haven't heard of Alabama Chanin or Natalie, please click here and read all about the amazingness.


1 comment:

  1. I love the history of this Amy. I think it's infinitely more meaningful to have a handmade dress, that you can pass on, that was in hands of so many close, loving people. I cannot WAIT to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete