Friday, October 29, 2010

Comfort Friends

It's been another busy week and I've been away from the blog because it felt more appropriate to give my attention to life—my family, which feels so far away, especially during injuries and illnesses, my good friends who I am lucky to see about once a month when work takes me back to nyc, and plain old getting through the work day. I was in nyc for most of this week, where I had inspiring and engaging work to attend to, and time with some of my favorite people in the world. 

I went to college on the opposite side of the country from my family, so you'd think that I would have gotten used to the distance issue. But as easy as it is to fly about the country, I'm not sure one ever really adjusts to being physically far away from loved ones. Which is interesting to me because I firmly feel that home is in Des Moines—it's where I have a lovely life with my fiance, it's where I have a remarkable group of creative friends who are awesome enough to meet for breakfast every Friday and teach me new things, and it's where I found real happiness. I am learning, though, that all of the people that I love carry a piece of my home around with them. And sometimes it's hard not to have them down the street.

I think I'm trying to say that I'm happy to be home and am looking forward to a quiet weekend with my love. And that I miss my friends. And that I'm happy that my mom is coming on Tuesday (because we get to go make my wedding dress next weekend, weeeee!!!).

The sticky buns up above are something that I grew up eating on weekends with my grandparents. They, like my friends, are comfort, contained.

And next week, it's back to our regularly scheduled coverage of creative people and pursuits.

Until then, and as a thank you for indulging my somewhat emotional post, here's a batch of Link Love for you:

Caramelized Sweet Potato and Onion Tart looks like the perfect way to celebrate the first hard freeze. Hello, 30 degree weather!

I'm loving this DIY Athens Farm Wedding, especially the shots of the family making the tree backdrop. And that the bride made her dress from a sheet. And that she rocked cowboy boots.

Pumpkin Bread with Cinnamon Pecan Filling from Honey and Jam screams fall weekend. Or afternoon. With tea.

These Leaf pillows from Inklore are so simply and lovely. I love the lines of the leaves, especially.

I keep dreaming of this wedding band (yes it's in the men's section, but I love it) from Sarah Perlis. And this one, which has a bit more sparkle.

Happy weekend!



2 comments:

  1. Oh, I hope you're doing alright Amy! I know what it's like to miss family and friends and to feel a bit disconnected. Can't wait to see how the dress turns out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kaye- just sometimes I get frustrated by the distance (I've become an Italian grandmother- all I want to do is share food and baked goods with my family!)

    ReplyDelete