Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Q&A with Sare of Miss Fluff Jewelry

I'm excited to share the work and a little bit of the story of Sare, who makes that amazing leather necklace that you're looking at. This is part of a regular Wednesday feature where I have a q&a with a crafty lady and we all hear about what they do, why they do it, and how they make time for it. If you'd like to be featured, drop me a note at thingswemake@gmail.com and we can make that happen! And now, let's get to know Sare!

Name: Sare
Maker of: unique leather jewelry

Where do you live?
I live in London, England.

Do you think that influences the style of your work?
Although I love living in a busy city like London I’ve always craved the country and perhaps that why my main influences are nature and wildlife. I’ve also always wanted to live in a fairytale wonderland which is perhaps why sometimes my designs veer off into the slightly odd!


Is this your full time work? If not, what do you do?
I’ve been studying at the London College of Fashion and am currently searching for part-time work whilst making jewellery part-time hoping to turn into full time one day.

How did you learn to make your designs?
I’ve made my own bags and jewellery since I was a girl. While I was studying accessories at LCF I discovered the wonderful properties of leather and learnt the skills I needed to work with it. I love working with leather. It’s so tactile and I find it only improves with age.


Have you always made things? If not, what made you start and why do you continue?
I have been making and creating for as long as I can remember. I learnt my sewing skills from my mother and grandmother who would always be sewing something in our kitchen.
I continue to make things because it is the most natural thing in the world to me and when I’m not I feel stifled and frustrated.

How do you balance your need to do creative work with the demands of busy daily life?
I’m quite an organised person but even so sometimes family life becomes overwhelming and the ironing piles up and dishes need doing and it seems like there aren’t enough hours in the day.
I think sometimes you just need to let everything wait and take some time for yourself and your work.


What do you think sets your work apart?
I’ve always loved unusual jewellery and I like to think that my designs fit into that category. Whilst some of my work is more conventionally pretty there are other pieces that are a little more unusual like my horse earrings, sea life creatures or bunny rabbit necklaces.

Do you have any advice for other aspiring designers?
I don’t really feel in a position to offer advice. I just think you should stay true to yourself, work hard and stay fresh!

1 comment: