Monday, August 10, 2009

Peach Crisp

I have major news to share today: I joined a CSA! I am so thrilled, so excited that I finally made this happen after years of wanting to be a member. The one farm that I'd hoped to get a fall share with was all full, but on Saturday morning I finally found a vendor that had heirloom beets (chiogga in particularly), which I'd just been complaining that I couldn't find, and realized that they have a fall CSA as well. They are a150 year old family farm and it sounds like they grow a lot of heirloom veggies, and they were also just certified organic in June. So it's right up my alley. As soon as Melissa, the keeper of the CSA, told me about an heirloom tomato taste test that they are having out at the farm in a few weeks, with a potluck to follow, for members, I was sold. I'll let you know how it goes once I start getting my shares.
In the meantime, here's a delicious and very easy recipe for a peach crisp, that you can see I made over the weekend. It's part of my preparation for my "Week Without Processed Foods" over at readymade.com. I'll be sharing my experience figuring out just what a processed food exactly is, and trying to not eat any all week- which I think will mostly mean that I cook all of my own meals and only purchase foods with one ingredient (like rice). The series is an attempt to increase our awareness of how we take certain things—which may or may not actually be necessary or good for us—for granted. My coworker Katherine Sharpe did a "Week Without Plastic" last week which was fascinating to say the least. I'm also planning to photograph each meal, so I hope it's interesting to see how difficult (or not) and time consuming this is to really do.

Peach Crisp
Adapted from the New Moosewood Cookbook
4 large peaches, sliced into chunks
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup rolled oats
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick melted butter

1. Preheat the oven to 375.
2. Combine the peaches and the sugar in a 9-inch square pan (which I don't have, so I used a pie plate).
2. Mix the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Distribute evenly over the fruit and press into place.
3. Bake 45 minutes or until the top is crisp and light brown, and the fruit is bubbling around the edges. (I think I actually cooked it for an hour since the top took a long time to brown.) Serve warm or at room temperature, preferrably with ice cream!


1 comment:

  1. How exciting. I so very much miss my time in a CSA (when I was living in Astoria). It was a huge commitment for me, money-wise and time-wise, as I was always rushing to use the bounty I received each week and make sure it didn't go to waste. But I learned more about cooking that summer, and tried more things I'd never tried before, than I ever had in summers past. I'm sure you will LOVE it. :)

    ReplyDelete