Thursday, July 23, 2009

Q&A: Cat of Rock, Paper, Silver

Another bonus Q&A for you this week and guess what, I changed up the questions a bit! Cat recently started reading this blog and I checked out her work and was intrigued—so I sent her a little list of questions and walla! Actually, my favorite part is her suggestions for other blogs and crafty folks she loves since I learned about a handful of new-to-me people and products. Read on!
(P.S. Just want to let you all know that I'm aware that funky things have been happening with my font and type size on here lately- blogger and I are having some difficulties but I'm working on it and hope to have things standard again soon!)


Where do you live? Milwaukee, WI


Tell me a little bit about what you make. In a tangible sense, I make jewelry. However, to me, my jewelry has an inner beauty, a soul, and personality. I would describe my design style as classic with an artsy twist.


How did you decide to start your line? Rock, Paper, Silver was born as an answer to my seeking a creative outlet. I have been crafting since I was a little girl. My earliest memories growing up are gluing popsicles or painting ceramics with my mom. I have always had creativity in my life and Rock, Paper, Silver fills that need for me today.


How (and more importantly, why) do you fit in time to make jewelry around your day job? For me, designing jewelry is my “calm in the storm”. It is a less about “fitting it in” and more of me looking forward to devoting time to Rock, Paper, Silver. When you find something you love to do, you set your schedule to make time for it. It also helps that my hubby is so supportive.


How did you learn to make jewelry? I am mostly self-taught. I have taken a handful of beading classes at a local bead shop which were a blast! It was great to get together with a group of women to bead and gossip! Like a modern day quilting club ;).


Where do you prefer to make your designs? I do all my designing at home in our office on my specially designated “jewelry” desk. About a month ago I spent an afternoon organizing all of my beads and findings that were scattered across my desk (it was madness, I tell you)…my work area is much more peaceful now that everything has a happy home! During this organization, I designated a “on deck” dish which is where I put supplies for designs I want to work on next. This allows me to keep my ideas focused and increases my productivity. Our office has great windows and when I have the luxury to design during the day (on a day off or the weekend), I love working in the natural sunlight.


Who are some of your current favorite crafty people? I seriously am addicted to the artists on Esty…there is so much creativity there…I can’t believe that a single website can contain it all! I am finding new favorites daily. Some of my recent finds are:

guyincognito’s Zippies

palepink’s Bike Innertube Journals

Corrie Hill’s Bird Mobiles

sraige’s Ruffled Linen Bags


What blogs do you make sure to read everyday? I have just entered into the world of blogging and I think I am in love! There are so many great blogs out there, each speaking to a different facet of who I am. I seem to discover a new favorite everyday! Here is a snapshot of some of my favorite blogs:

Zucchero, Zucchero…Holly’s humor is just awesome!

KatyDiddys…Laura is just so honest and provides great insight and tips to selling on Etsy

The Angry Chicken…A modern day crafting girls blog, great ideas and fun anecdotes delivered daily


What's the best part of your day? 5:15pm. This is when my “day job” work in marketing/web design ends…I feel like a kid waiting for the bell to ring at the end of the day! Don’t get me wrong, I truly enjoy my “day job” but the structure of our society’s 50-60 hour work week makes me feel ill.


What do you like to do when you're not working on your creations (or working at your regular job)? Oh, gosh, there is so much! I love both cooking and baking and am the honorary “meal planner/preparer” in our house. I am addicted to magazines and treat myself to reading them only when I am on my Stairmaster (this keeps me motivated). I also enjoy schooling my husband in a game of Blokus or getting beaten down by him in Scrabble.In the summer months I take full advantage of the gorgeous weather by riding my motorcycle, scouting flea markets and festivals, mowing the lawn (yes, I actually LIKE cutting the grass! ;)), dining alfresco, or visiting the zoo (self proclaimed animal lover…though I always end up feeling a little sad when I see the cages). My husband and I are very social and visit family and friends when ever we can.






No comments:

Post a Comment