Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Q&A: Sandra of Friedasophie

It's a gray morning here in NYC, but these lovely jewelry pieces are helping me feel very cheerful. I love the way that Sandra combines bold colors with elegant, and often times vintage, hardware. And that her creativity is so connected to the generations of women who came before her in her family. See below for more!
 
Where do you live? 
I live in San Francisco, California but i am originally from Hamburg, Germany

Tell me a little bit about what you make.
I handcraft precious and semi-precious gemstone jewelry in a modern style with a hint of art deco.

How did you decide to start your line?
My family were all artists and i have been painting, sewing, writing and crafting all my life. Recently in January a store owner in my neighborhood fell in love with a pair of earrings I made for myself and asked me to make her a dozen for her organic fashion store.  Then I started my online
etsy store and since than it has been taken off.

Is this your full-time work?
Yes, this is my full-time work, I am also a acupuncturist and i restore vintage vehicles but the jewelry designing is my main work.

You say that you also sew, which you inherited from your grandmother and great-grandmother. Do you think it means more to you to make things because of that family connection?
Yes, of course, I loved my grandmother very much and unfortunately lost her at age 7, so when i sew a cute dress or i make some earrings for it is like she is with me in those moments.

Where do you prefer to make your designs?
I work from my comfy sofa at home. I need to have a good tea, some chocolate and some pretty gemstones in all colors available and then I just let the gem influence me.

What's your current favorite color combination?
My favorite color is red but my favorite color combo would be lemon with aqua because it reminds me of summer on the beach.

Do you have a favorite product in your shop right now? 
Yes, i love my Caribbean green and Caribbean blue drop earrings, they make me think of Bahamas beaches. Plus my red chalcedony cherry blossom which brings me right back to asia.

What's the best part of your day?
Evenings, when i get get to design new pieces and i can let me ideas flow.

What do you like to do when you're not working on your creations?
I love watching an independent movie, cuddle with my cat mausi or dance tango and salsa around the house with my husband.


No comments:

Post a Comment