Monday, June 8, 2009

And the winner is...

Kathy! She has one an amazing Cuisinart Elite Die-Cast 16 cup Food Processor from Williams-Sonoma. In her entry, she said, "Ooh ooh! I would use this to knead and slice and dice and mmmmm, that pizza looks yummy! Man, this thing would come in handy at my house!!"

Okay, for all of you who didn't win (and again, Kathy was chosen by random.org), I'm going to propose a little recipe sharing. I am amazed at how many people also make their own hummus (isn't it so much better than store bought!?!), but get a load of this list of things people said they'd like to make if they won:

organic baby food
gazpacho
salsa, pico de gallo and guacamole
roasted tomato sauce to freeze for winter
potato soup
butternut squash soup
edamame guacamole
edamame hummus (this was very popular- I need to try it!)
pie crust
graham cracker crust
egg roll filling
cookie dough
pizza crust
gluten free pizza crust
hummsto: "I would make pesto, and hummus, and then combine them together to make humsto. And it will be delicious!" (I mean I love them separately so why not combine them, right?)

Okay, so if anyone who mentioned one of those recipes would be up for sharing, please email me (thingswemake at gmail dot com) the recipe (or a link to it) and I can do a little recap with links!

And here's a little personal update for you for anyone who's been wondering how I've been adjusting to my new life in Iowa. Well, this place is RAD. I feel that way for many reasons, but the biggest is that I feel more like myself than I have in a long time simply because the lifestyle is much more my speed. I checked out the bike trails, well one of them, for the first time Sunday and MY HEAVENS! I realize that I have a tendency to get excited about many things, but man oh man, the trail I tried was my version of heaven. It went along the river, out past Gray's Lake, then eventually into a forest. I kid you not. A forest. I was dumbfounded at the beauty, the noisy birds, the sheer abundance of green everywhere and that the trail even went past a horse farm for good measure. Knowing that it's close enough that I could theoretically take a ride before or after work—well, I just cannot tell you how wonderful that feels. I also think it's very amusing that I am so entirely impressed by nature. I mean it's not like I didn't spend a lot of time in Central Park and hiking outside of the city when I could. I did. But this is different. Way different. And it's really good.

And just for fun, here are three images I'm loving lately...they are just a few of the recent things added to my favorite file over at Etsy.

Flatiron from Futurowoman Fotographie


Wild Garden from Yumi Yumi


2 comments:

  1. Amy!

    Here is the Edamame Hummus recipe:

    Ingredients

    * 2 cups shelled edamame, cooked according to package directions
    * 1 cup silken tofu, briefly drained of excess liquid
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
    * 3 cloves garlic
    * 1/4 cup olive oil
    * 1/3 cup lemon juice, plus more, to taste
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin, plus more, for garnish

    Directions

    Set 1 tablespoon of edamame aside for a garnish. Place the rest of the edamame, tofu, salt, garlic, oil, lemon juice[, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin in the bowl of a food processor and process until very smooth, about 2 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper, plus more lemon juice, if desired. Remove to a serving bowl and garnish with reserved edamame, and some cumin.

    Its SO yummy! We make it with these:

    Spiced Pita Chips

    Ingredients

    * 2 tablespoons olive oil
    * 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    * 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    * 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    * 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt
    * 3 whole-wheat pitas, cut into 1/8's

    Directions

    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

    Combine olive oil and all spices in a large bowl. Add pita wedges and toss to coat, Spread in 1 layer on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes, tossing once, or until pita is brown and crisp. Cool completely before serving.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! You are amazing and this sounds super yummy!

    ReplyDelete