Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Q&A: Heather of Bettula Jewelry

Today's post is a little bit about Heather Fagan, the woman behind Bettula, a very awesome shop on Etsy filled with jewelry made from bark. I know, I was impressed too! Here's Heather:


Where do you live?
Eastpointe (East Detroit), MI

Tell me a little bit about what you make.
I make cuffs, earrings, necklaces, rings, hair accessories and home goods out of birch bark. Before birch bark I was making stained glass and doing restoration work. Most recently I have started working with Hypertufa which is what I dream about when its time for a break from the bark.



How did you decide to start your line?
It all started four years ago when I was studying a fallen birch tree and saw the bark as a possible material instead of just a tree. From then on I just started experimenting and realized that I was making jewelry from bark. One piece lead to the next and I still have so many ideas.


How did you learn to work with bark, of all materials?
I am self-taught. Determination.


Where do you prefer to make your designs?
I plan designs based on organic life and simple shapes. I love being able to work outside in the summer and feel the sun and breeze. It would be so great to be closer to nature and not in my garage but until then I have tried to bring the woods home to me.


Where do you find your inspiration?
Most of my inspiration comes from being outdoors. Michigan is full of beautiful escapes! I love camping and hiking.

What's the best part of your day?
When I see a new idea come to life.




What do you like to do when you're not working on your creations?
Anything active...going to the beach, riding my bike, playing games, cooking new delicious foods and an occasional movie.

Do you have a favorite product in your shop right now?
My favorite right now is the Chestnut Bow Necklace because it is cute in an earthy natural way.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Heather's work is fantastic! I love the earthy feel, how creative. I will definately be "hearting" her shop!

    ReplyDelete