Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Q&A with Sarah of Three Seeds Naturals























I've been loving some of Sarah's products—especially the moisturizing cream which has proved to be a lovely slice of luxury to keep at my desk—so I thought it would be fun to hear the backstory of her natural beauty biz.

Name: Sarah Maloy
Location  Danbury, CT
Website/Blog/store  www.threeseedsnaturals.com, Facebook page, Twitter.com/3seedsnaturals



Tell me a little bit about what you make.

I make natural skin care products - lotions, creams, lip balms, and scrubs. I like the process for a few reasons - as I've learned more and more, I've really enjoyed developing my own formulas - experimenting with oils, butters and fragrances until I find just the right combination. Once I have the formula, I find it very satisfying to make a batch and have it turn out perfect. Making scrubs for example - stirring up the sugar into the perfect mix of shea butter and sunflower oil makes such a pretty texture. Or watching a batch of my Ultra Moisturizing Cream turn from a milky consistency to a rich, thick cream is exciting to see.



















How and when did you become interested in making beauty products?
I became interested in making beauty products in late 2009 when I saw natural lotions at a farmer's market. I've been interested in eating more naturally, and I realized that what we put on our body is just as important as what we put in our bodies. I had seen recipes for beauty products in natural magazines, so I decided to give it a try.
























 How would you describe your style?
My style is simple. I believe in creating products that do a job and do it well. I'm fairly low maintenance with my own beauty regimen, so I started by creating products I could use - I use a regular body lotion, so my goal was for my Everyday Body Lotion to go on light and smooth after the shower. Sometimes my hands and elbows need a little more, so I created my Ultra Moisturizing Cream, which has a wonderfully thick texture but doesn't leave skin greasy. I like to use a scrub, but I have been frustrated by messy scrubs that separate into an oil layer and a sugar layer - so I researched different ingredients that emulsify the scrub so it stays together. And now I'm researching formulas for a solid single-use scrub -- take a scrub cube into the shower and use it all over - no mess!
Every ingredient serves a purpose, I don't believe in adding lots of things that don't have a benefit. I also like my scents noticeable but light - the kind of scent that makes you smile when you put it on but fades throughout the day and doesn't overwhelm. And most important, every scent should bring to mind a season.
Where do you do your work?
I make all my products in my kitchen. I sanitize everything, wear gloves and a mask, and test every batch to make sure there are no contaminants.


What sets your products apart?
My products are largely natural, though I do use a paraben-free preservative and phthalate-free fragrances. They are all handmade, use high quality ingredients, and are inspired by the seasons. My company name, Three Seeds, is derived from the Greek myth of Persephone and Demeter. Demeter is the goddess of the seasons, and according to the myth, we have winter because her daughter Persephone ate three pomegranate seeds. I love the changing seasons, and to me, nothing brings that to life more than the perfect scent. Three Seeds Naturals offers 5 scents - one inspired by each season, plus our signature scent, Pomegranate.













Is this your full-time work?
No. I work full-time for a large consumer packaged goods company. Much of my job involves understanding what consumers want and need and bringing that to life in a product or brand. I love that aspect of my job and wanted to apply it to something of my own; thus Three Seeds Naturals.

No comments:

Post a Comment