I was determined to use the weekend to get a good start on my wall hanging that will serve as the headboard in my guest room/office and boy did I. I find that every so often, I need uninterrupted hours working on a project like this (honestly, it's been a while), with perhaps, a cheesy (and awesome) dance movie playing in the background.
The two blocks that are the center of the piece are vintage, from the 1920s I believe, and I didn't realize until I started working with them how not square they were—it took me a really long time to get my subsequent pieces straight. It might surprise you to learn this, but I am not all that fond of nitty gritty details during piecing, which is mostly a factor of how much more I enjoy quilting. But I think it was a good thing for me to practice my patience and get it right. I actually took one of the apart entirely and started over since it was looking all wonky.
|Imagine the quilted piece hung on the wall above the pillows...|
Thankfully, I only planned to do two squares, so after about 4 hours* on both Sunday and Monday, I had the entire top pieced. Since then I have nearly finished quilting the inside of one of the blocks so I have a feeling this is going to quilt up really quickly. Which is thrilling!
I haven't made a quilted project for myself since I first learned to quilt nine years ago, so I'm really happy that I love this so much—and that I get to keep it! Plus, I think it's pretty great that I get to keep the tradition of quilting alive by incorporating these unfinished blocks into a new work of my own. I wish I knew who the woman was who made those blocks, but I'm pretty sure she'd like knowing that I find them to be so lovely.
*This would have taken about half of the time had my sewing machine been cooperating. The bobbin thread kept getting stuck below the actual bobbin, for reasons unknown to me, so rather than struggling with it/throwing it across the room, I simply hand stitched all of my pieces. I am not very mechanically inclined :)