Monday, March 29, 2010
I started out the weekend intending to turn a stack of my granny squares into a throw pillow cover, but things veered slightly off course once I actually got to sewing.
I sewed my squares together—I wound up using all the same size because the fit together so nicely—and I love the somewhat modern and yet still traditional vibe that the finished rectangle has. I measured it to fit the front of a pillow that I have, and that needed a makeover, but the shape/size also lends itself nicely to a trivet. Or a placemat, which is what my friend Virginia called it before promptly requesting that I make her a set of 8 for the fall.
When I went to figure out which fabric I was going to use for the base, which was going to come out of my stash because as this was an experiment (and not worth brand new fabric in my book), I found a very cool feed sack that I'd forgotten about. I whipped it up into a pillow cover—which was fun because after the patchwork pillows, I really understand how the general design needs to work—and realized that it was perfect just the way it was.
So for now, I'm going to enjoy my granny square trivet and my new feed sack pillow cover and call this one a successful exercise in stream of consciousness crafting!
P.S. I also pinned the bias tape onto the big quilt that I've been working on for over a year and let me tell you, I am a VERY happy girl about being that close to being done. That and finally seeing flowers starting to bloom were definitely the highlights of my weekend!