Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Photographs by Andrea Tese

Last Friday I went down to the Lower East Side (an entire universe away from where I live in Harlem!) to see Andrea Tese's current photography exhibit at the Heist Gallery. I immediately realized that I need to make more of an effort to see visual art in person, rather than just on my computer. It was very refreshing to be able to look at large images and notice textural details that I think I otherwise would have missed.
Andrea grew up in the city but spent her summers on the North Fork of Long Island. After taking photography as an elective in the 8th grade, she became hooked on taking pictures—even though she went to a liberal arts college at the request of her parents. After school she taught, interned with some well known photographers, but never stopped shooting on her own. The current exhibit is part of her ongoing exploration of the aftermath of experiences, which as she explained to me, is a concept that really speaks to her.

1 comment:

  1. I did some blog posts a few weeks ago about the Lower East Side -- Katz's deli, the Temement Museum, Russ and Daughters, etc. It is a wonderful neighborhood to explore.
    I didn't know about the Heist Gallery --thanks for the link! Andrea's photographs are amazing!

    ReplyDelete