Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Friendship Bracelet Making: 15 Years Later, I Can Still Do It


 First, I'd like to thank everyone who signed up for the friendship bracelet swap—we have more than 30 people on board and I can't wait to see what everyone makes!

Over the weekend, I pulled out some of my old bracelet making supplies (I used to have stacks and stacks of floss wound around those little white holders) and gave my old skills a test. Turns out that I, amazingly, actually do remember how to make the bracelets—and I would guess that it's been, oh about 15 years since I've made one. So that was a delightful surprise (I guess making so many really drilled it into my head!). I started making two, using two separate techniques, though both involve knotting in what I can only describe as being in the shape of a 4.


The two styles show above are the only two that I ever made using embroidery floss—though I did make gimp bracelets for a while, but that's an entirely separate topic! I'd love to hear how the making is going for everyone participating in the swap- are you remembering how to do it?

9 comments:

  1. I tried the spiral style, which I've never done before. The first attempt looks all chewed at the top. I messed up the stitch in the beginning somehow. The second attempt I got the stitch right, but then it came out too short even though I used the same length of thread as the first one (which was the perfect length). I'm gonna keep playing with them. They're super relaxing to make!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making a thick one and I have to admit I am on my third. The first two I hated ;0). I hope to get it into the mail soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried yet. I'm scared I won't remember! I've got my brain working on it, though. I'm going to dig in soon for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made one last night. I hadn't made friendship bracelets in years, but picked it up again when I started chaperoning our youth group on road trips. Still a huge hit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fun! I love that these seem to have a bit of a timeless appeal :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I just moved, and during all of my packing I ran across my stash of half-finished friendship bracelets from 15 years ago. I still remembered how to make them too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definately had to google and find a simple tutorial as I'd never actually made these when inwas younger! it didn't turn out quite as pictured, but I figured they're not meant to look store bought, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. No Breanna! I don't think they have to look like they came from a store. :) It's the joy of making them that appeals to me. I'm sure mine will be imperfect (although it will probably bother me!). I haven't tried making mine yet; I'm going to hold a friendship bracelet making party and am going to try to find tutorials to pass out at the party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, they definitely aren't meant to look store bought- in fact, I think that this is one craft that is really meant to look like it was made by a pair of real hands! As I like to think when I'm quilting, imperfections prove that a real person made it!

    ReplyDelete