Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Rhubarb Cake for Breakfast


[If you missed the original post, don't forget to sign up to participate in the Friendship Bracelet Swap! You have until May 25th to sign up. Click here for more info!]

As I mentioned on Monday, I made a delicious rhubarb cake over the weekend using part of a huge bundle we were gifted with. There are few food things I love more than having cake or crisp for breakfast (made with healthy, whole grains so that it's at least mostly a responsible start to my day) and I decided that the rhubarb needed to be put to that use.


I found the recipe for the Unfussy Apple Cake on 101cookbooks.com a long time ago and thought that it might make a good base for my rhubarb. All I did was swap the rhubarb in for the apples and made the rest according to the recipe. We've been eating it for breakfast with Greek yogurt—which today was also topped with a rhubarb strawberry sauce (I filled a small sauce pot with diced rhubarb, added a bit of water, let it cook down, then stirred in a few spoonfuls of sugar, sliced strawberries and a tablespoon or so of cornstarch and let it cook just a few minutes more as I didn't want to overcook the berries). It is super tasty and also nice and tangy.


Click here to see the full recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment