Friday, May 7, 2010

A Note On Expectations


Lately, so much in my life has changed that it's hard for me to believe that it all feels so normal. I touched on this a little on Monday, but moving into a new house (with a boy!) in a new part of town and adjusting to the rythmn of life as two has been, well, unexpectedly simple. Sure, two independent people uniting their living spaces brings it's own set of challenges (like which way to hang the roll of toilet paper- I am a decidedly over the top girl), but I can't tell you how great it feels that figuring all of that out feels like exactly the thing I'm meant to be doing.


It's coming up on a year that I've been living in Des Moines and if you would have told me that this is what my life would have looked like as I packed my car and drove away from my tiny apartment in Harlem, I wouldn't have believed you. None of this—the darling house, the darling boy (who is a man, really), the lifestyle that lets me sleep soundly at night—were things that I expected.


And yet here we are. My only real conclusion from all of this is that change can be an amazingly good thing and that wonderfully unexpected things can come from trying something new. And whether that's as simple as trying a new recipe, a new yoga pose, a new way of quilting, or something as complicated as trying to get to know a new person, a new neighborhood or a new way of living (that involves driving), I am here to say go for it.


On that note, we're heading to Pella to partake in some Tulip Time festivities, including lunch with friends, a craft show and a quilt show (expect to see at least one shot of the town windmill on Monday), and I'm going to find some backing fabric for a new quilting project that I've been working on. I will share that next week too. Here's hoping that you all have a lovely weekend, in ways you can't yet imagine.


[Inspiring print above is from Dazeychic on Etsy. Click here to see be taken right to it!]

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully stated. I am always amazed by you and your insights! XO

    ReplyDelete